[mythtv-users] Humming Noise coming from LCD tv

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Apr 1 15:50:09 UTC 2014

On 4/1/2014 7:32 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> Wrong there. DVI *can* carry audio to an HDMI connector because I have
> a host set up that way.

Then it's not DVI, but HDMI being transmitted through a DVI port.

All DVI ports on graphics cards have been HDMI capable since the late
2000s, since it's easier to just maintain one common TMDS transmitter
design regardless of what physical port it is connected to, but that
does not necessarily mean it has audio hardware hooked up to it.  I had
an issue with an old 8400GS connected with a DVI<->HDMI cable that was
telling the TV it was providing an audio signal, even when it never
exposed any audio device to the system, causing the TV to refuse any
independent analog audio input when using that video input.