[mythtv-users] hdpvr won't record through myth

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Apr 2 14:25:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 13:35 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> HDPVRs have been reported as having issues with some USB
> controllers.

Especially the "on board" USB chips. These are notorious for not
following the standards exactly and relying on vendor-supplied drivers
that, of course, only work with M$ Windows. When I recently installed a
totally new system to take over the backend/frontend-for-the-main-TV
role, I had all kinds of problems getting the HDPVRs to work at all. I
then inserted a Startech USB 4-port PCIx1 card, plugged the HDPVRs into
that, and now they are 100% reliable. For what it's worth, the HDPVRs
are the only USB devices I have that fail to work properly with the
on-board USB ports, but they work flawlessly with the Startech ports.

--Greg