[mythtv-users] schedules direct issues when running as non root

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 2 14:26:18 UTC 2014

On 04/02/2014 10:07 AM, Tony Guadagno wrote:
> hi, I have been reading a lot about the recent issues with schedules
> direct, I have an issue but I am not sure its the same one.  about 2
> weeks ago, I noticed that I was not getting updates.  After working
> with it for a while, I realized that if I run mythfilldatabase as my
> mythtv user, it seems to suceed but no schedule updates appear...If I
> run as root, it works fine.  This was not always the case
>
> I have output logs for each, can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> log when running as mythuser
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/7194368/
>
> Log when running as root
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/7194369/

You have an old version of 0.27 (it seems to be the release version, not
the stable 0.27-fixes version) and you once ran mythfilldatabase as root
user, so mythfilldatabase temporary files/directories were created with
root ownership, so no other user can write to them (and, really, even if
were it a different non-root user--basically any user other than the one
running mythbackend--you could have the same issue, so this isn't
specifically root related, but is just ownership/permissions related).

So, ideally, upgrade to 0.27-fixes and the issue will be fixed since
current 0.27-fixes ensures unique temp directory naming.

Chances are, though, a simple reboot will "reset" things so that when
you run mythfilldatabase as the user running mythbackend, it will work
(and continue to work) properly (until...)--assuming your distro cleans
up /tmp at reboot.

If not, you can manually:

sudo rm -r /tmp/myth*

and things will work (and continue to work) properly until someone runs
mythfilldatabase as the wrong user, at which point you should upgrade or
remember how to work around the breakage caused by the broken file
system permissions.

Mike