[mythtv-users] Migration Mythbuntu 10.04 to Mythbuntu 12.04 stuck, Need Help

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Apr 3 14:50:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 06:44:52 -0500, you wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Stephen Worthington
><stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>> Yes, I got exactly that sort of problem when I upgraded.  I think the
>> following procedure should fix it.  Uninstall the mythmusic plugin,
>> then restore the old database again and first run mythtv-setup and
>> allow it to upgrade the database.  Then run mythfrontend - you will
>> probably find that you have a problem with your theme.  You are likely
>> using a theme in the old database that is not installed yet on the new
>> system.  Choose a theme that works, then using that theme, install the
>> theme you want and change to it.  Once you have all that working, then
>> install the mythmusic plugin again and run mythfrontend.  You should
>> now be able to see the question it is asking you and reply to it
>> correctly and it will then upgrade the mythmusic tables in the
>> database and everything will be working again.
>>
>> If that does not work, fully uninstall mythbackend (and mythdatabase?)
>> and reinstall them, so you have an empty database.  Or find the
>> procedure somewhere in the MythTV Wiki for creating an empty database
>> and do that.  Then run mythfrontend, choose a working theme, install
>> the theme you have in your old database, restore the old database and
>> then as above.
>
>Stephen,
>
>  As soon as it stops the next set of recordings ;-) I'll pursue that angle.
>
>  It is the same kind of thing that was beginning to ferment in my thoughts
>overnight.  Something Mike (_THE_ Mike ;-) -- MTD) said a week or so ago,
>when I last had made a stab at migrating, had been percolating in my
>thoughts last night.  He mentioned that after the frontend made a database
>backup I would have an option to cancel the MythMusic schema update from
>a prompt on the screen, but that's not showing up.  If I have changed focus
>away from the windowless (and blank, ATM) frontend screen right after
>starting mythfrontend (say to an xterm following the messages in
>mythfrontend.log), then the focus will get moved back to the frontend screen,
>which is still blank, when the backup is complete and then ... nothing.
>
>  So, I think we're on to something.  I was just trying to figure out
>how to tell
>mythfrontend to use a different theme when I spotted your e-mail.  Before I
>start mucking about with uninstalling and installing things, I think I
>will first
>try to start mythfrontend with "-O theme=Mythbuntu" to see if I get
>anywhere with that (since the Mythbuntu theme was being used before I
>restored my database).  If that fails, I'll move on to your suggestions.
>
>Thanks!!!

That sounds like a good plan.  I think Mythbuntu is the only builtin
theme now - all the others need to be downloaded.  So if your restored
database is using any theme other than Mythbuntu, then you do not get
to see the question about updating the mythmusic database as that
happens before the theme is checked and you are allowed to select one
that exists to replace the one that is not installed.  So the best
plan for upgrading is to make sure that you start mythfrontend before
you restore your old database, and at that point make sure you install
the theme that is used in the database to be restored.  Failing that,
you can use the "-O theme=Mythbuntu" override from the mythfrontend
command line.  I had forgotten about that option as I have never used
it.