[mythtv-users] schedules direct issues when running as non root

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 01:13:00 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 12:34 AM, Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/3/14, 7:55 PM, Tony Guadagno wrote:
>>
>> hi, I have been reading a lot about the recent issues with schedules
>> direct, I have an issue but I am not sure its the same one.
>
> Hi Tony,
>
> Here is my understanding of several issues:
>
> 1) If you're just running 0.27 (and not the latest 0.27-fixes),
> mythfilldatbase having run as root will leave some files behind in /tmp
> that a normal user won't be able to overwrite.   A fix might be to get
> the latest 0.27-fixes, or clean out /tmp manually.  Or just reboot, as
> that should clean out /tmp as well.

cleaning /tmp depends on distro.

"Best Practices" cleans /tmp at boot.  Some distros have chosen
their own way.  Brokenness is not unknown.  So the recommendation,
while possibly correct, may not work for all.  Be aware that your
personal experience may not be valid for the OP.

Note that if one runs MythTV as root, or needs to run it as root to
get things working, I assert you are doing it wrong (although I do
have many "friends" that also run everything in Windows using an
account that has Administrator group access on Windows too,
or just enter their <administrator account> password to start things
on Mac OS X, and, no matter how many times I tell them "they are
doing it wrong" assert that it works for them.  And it probably does.
There is no accounting for knowledge,  Obigatory xkcd ref:
https://xkcd.com/386/ ).

If one finds that one needs to run anything at root, one should
examine the output from strace/ptrace/dtrace to determine
what files have the wrong permissions/capabilities, and fix them.
That helps everyone to stay safer, and results in better long
term experience.  There are many references on the MythTV
wiki regarding setting permissions correctly.  If one find they are
wrong, please contribute back to the project by updating those
instructions (being sure, if you are not sure, that this is only
in reference to the <x> distro).

And I practice what I preach.  I do not run MythTV as root.
I have never found it necessary.  Yes, I have needed to set
permissions (on devices), and capabilities, pretty much as
the wiki indicates.  As the literacy statement says, "reading
is fundamental".  What they often miss is actually the real
rule "Understanding is fundamental".