[mythtv-users] Updated mythbuntu theme version 28

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Fri Apr 4 18:02:21 UTC 2014

I'm going to try and reply to all the questions that came in
overnight. If you asked a question and you don't see it here, then I
missed it and you should ask it again.

>Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
>
>Given that there is a healthy number of people who seem to agree on the smaller text sizes maybe they
>can band together and maintain a new theme that reflects that groups preferences and that can then be
>published with MythTV? I'm sure (correct me if I am wrong) that Thomas would be more than happy to
>let them copy the Mythbuntu theme to get it all started so that all of the hard work is already done?
>
>Thomas, I have the occasional aspiration to create / make available my own personal theme for others
>but it is based nearly entirely on your Mythbuntu theme (although I think from about 0.25/fixes) -
>can I have permission to copy your latest Mythbuntu theme version as a new starting point and rework
>to my own set of preferences?

I'll answer both of these questions with the same answer. I'm working
on opening up the licensing to allow this. I'll hopefully have this
approved by the next release.

>Ken Truesdale kentruesdale at gmail.com
>
>Since there appear to be people who like the font the way it was and those who like the larger size,
>does it make sense to conduct a poll?  Is there a place where we could do that off-list?  (No sense
>in adding mailing list traffic.)   I'm not suggesting a binding vote, but it might be helpful to
>gauge interest in the topic overall and see which way people prefer?  Can the MythTV forum do polls?

I'm a bit against a vote for a few reasons.

1) You would have to get people to actually vote. This would require
A) a place vote, and B) people caring enough to actually sign up and
vote (without sign ups, someone might just stuff the ballot box so
whats the point)

2) This is not a design by committee project. Projects need the
ability to make design decisions that may not be liked by some people
(We've already discussed in this thread many times how it's a
difference of taste). The people with upload rights to the Mythbuntu
repository have the rights to make any changes they feel necessary.
The named members of the Core Mythbuntu Dev team
(https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu-dev/+members) have final say on all
changes.

With that said, we do solicite feedback (as evidenced in this thread)
and will resolve issues if we feel it is necessary.

>Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
>
>How about having a placeholder coverart if a real one is missing?

I don't think this is a good solution. As soon as I put a placeholder
up, someone is going to complain that it looks tacky and that we
should just default to just showing the text. If there is a better
solution that works, I'm willing to take a look at it. I wonder if
it's possibly to have a placeholder only if a certain file exists AND
there is no coverart. I'll look into that.

>Nicolas Krzywinski myth at site7even.de
>
>Interested in this (and in Thomas' answer)
>

>Yes, I mentioned them earlier: background pattern and status dots instead
>of offending color battle and too few space between list lines (for german Umlauts they even
>overlap! see last screen)

Ah yes, now I remember. Sorry this thread is getting so long that I'm
forgetting some of the previous stuff.

>http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2213245

This looks like it's better illustrated in the images below

>http://www.site7even.de/temp/mythbuntu-theme_v25.30_vs_v28.5_mainscreen.jpg

This has already been fixed in the latest version

>http://www.site7even.de/temp/mythbuntu-theme_v25.30_vs_v28.5_planned-recordings.jpg

Spacing between lines will be fixed. Colors are probably going to
stay. I'm looking at some fixes for the width space.

>http://www.site7even.de/temp/mythbuntu-theme_v28.7_not-enough-space-between-lines.jpg

I've got on my TODO list to add some more space between lines

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos