[mythtv-users] MythTV / Plex plugin

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Mon Apr 7 14:06:45 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 06/04/14 23:15, John Pilkington wrote:
>
>  DLNA access now works via the Plex plugin after I set
>
>> all eth+ devices as trusted, and the TV now plays DVB-T recordings
>> converted to mpeg2-ps, which fail with the Myth DLNA server.  Perhaps
>> because of the Panasonic device profile in Plex?
>>
>> They play in Firefox on my SL6 laptop,too.
>>
>> John
>>

> ... but in both modes it's CPU intensive and HD playback stutters. It
> seems to be doing real-time transcoding, which shouldn't be needed, IIUC,
> at least for DLNA.  When Myth does that, it does it with no sweat.  Back to
> reading the instructions...

Transcoding is CPU intensive. The format of the recording file is dictated
by the source, not MythTV. MythTV doesn't care if it is MPEG2, MPEG4,
h.264... If your BE is not powerful enough to do realtime transcoding, you
may need to setup a post recording job that transcodes all recordings to a
client friendly format.

-Tom