[mythtv-users] MythTV / Plex plugin

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Apr 7 15:36:50 UTC 2014

On 07/04/14 15:06, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net
> <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/04/14 23:15, John Pilkington wrote:
>
>       DLNA access now works via the Plex plugin after I set
>
>         all eth+ devices as trusted, and the TV now plays DVB-T recordings
>         converted to mpeg2-ps, which fail with the Myth DLNA server.
>           Perhaps
>         because of the Panasonic device profile in Plex?
>
>         They play in Firefox on my SL6 laptop,too.
>
>         John
>

>     ... but in both modes it's CPU intensive and HD playback stutters.
>     It seems to be doing real-time transcoding, which shouldn't be
>     needed, IIUC, at least for DLNA.  When Myth does that, it does it
>     with no sweat.  Back to reading the instructions...
>

> Transcoding is CPU intensive. The format of the recording file is
> dictated by the source, not MythTV. MythTV doesn't care if it is MPEG2,
> MPEG4, h.264... If your BE is not powerful enough to do realtime
> transcoding, you may need to setup a post recording job that transcodes
> all recordings to a client friendly format.
>
> -Tom

Agreed; but all these recordings are already in a format that my TV will
play via DLNA, if suitably presented, *without* any transcoding.

For example, mpeg2-ps presented by the MythTV DLNA server as a Myth
'recording' hangs at 'please wait'.  If presented via a softlink as a
'video' it plays fine - but with no display of elapsed time, and from a
very long menu.  I hoped that Plex might work around that but, as I have
it at present, it doesn't.

Thanks, though.

John