[mythtv-users] MythTV / Plex plugin

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Apr 8 14:45:35 UTC 2014

On 08/04/14 15:19, Matt Emmott wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net
> <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/04/14 15:06, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
>
>         On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM, John Pilkington
>         <J.Pilk at tesco.net <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>
>         <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>>> wrote:
>
>              On 06/04/14 23:15, John Pilkington wrote:
>
>                DLNA access now works via the Plex plugin after I set
>
>                  all eth+ devices as trusted, and the TV now plays DVB-T
>         recordings
>                  converted to mpeg2-ps, which fail with the Myth DLNA
>         server.
>                    Perhaps
>                  because of the Panasonic device profile in Plex?
>
>                  They play in Firefox on my SL6 laptop,too.
>
>                  John
>

>              ... but in both modes it's CPU intensive and HD playback
>         stutters.
>              It seems to be doing real-time transcoding, which shouldn't be
>              needed, IIUC, at least for DLNA.  When Myth does that, it
>         does it
>              with no sweat.  Back to reading the instructions...
>

>         Transcoding is CPU intensive. The format of the recording file is
>         dictated by the source, not MythTV. MythTV doesn't care if it is
>         MPEG2,
>         MPEG4, h.264... If your BE is not powerful enough to do realtime
>         transcoding, you may need to setup a post recording job that
>         transcodes
>         all recordings to a client friendly format.
>
>         -Tom
>

>     Agreed; but all these recordings are already in a format that my TV
>     will play via DLNA, if suitably presented, *without* any transcoding.
>
>     For example, mpeg2-ps presented by the MythTV DLNA server as a Myth
>     'recording' hangs at 'please wait'.  If presented via a softlink as
>     a 'video' it plays fine - but with no display of elapsed time, and
>     from a very long menu.  I hoped that Plex might work around that
>     but, as I have it at present, it doesn't.
>
>     Thanks, though.
>
>     John
>

> Are there installation instructions for this somewhere? I hate to be
> ignorant but I have no idea how to install this in Plex. I'm running a
> dedicated VM for my media server that handles all my transcoding. For a
> while I've gotten tv shows into Plex using Mythlink.pl to create
> friendly-named symlinks that Plex can index appropriately but it's a bit
> flaky. If I could automatically see recordings in Plex it would be
> fantastic.
>
> Usually I just drop a zip file in the plugins folder in Plex and
> configure what files are needed, but I'm confused by the file layout on
> this page and hope I'm just missing a readme file. MyPlex machine is
> Windows but I am running PlexHomeTheater alongside MythTV on my
> dedicated FE if that helps.

https://github.com/tschaumburg/MythRecordings.bundle/wiki/Installation

As I said above, it works but I don't want the autotranscoding feature.

This script inserts a 'container = 'mp2ts'' and the logs say the
video_codec is unavailable for analysis and calls are made with
directPlay=0.  I haven't worked out where this happens, and playing with
the Panasonic profile hasn't yet done anything useful.