[mythtv-users] HELP! I want my mythtv!

Joseph DeGraw coffee412 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 12 23:29:55 UTC 2014

On 04/12/2014 06:21 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Joseph,
>
> Sunday, April 13, 2014, 12:03:59 AM, you wrote:
>
>> I am running a mythbuntu 12.04 install on a FE/BE box. I am using a 500
>> gig system drive and then setup a striped raid with mdadm using two 2tb
>> drives - all sata. Well, One of my raid drives finally died and I have
>> replaced it physically only. My problem is that I cannot get mythbuntu
>> to boot. It keeps booting to the busybox initram prompt no matter what I
>> do.
>> I get the normal prompt to bypass the raid mounting and I have tried
>> selecting either Y or N and I still get to the busybox initram prompt.
>> Drive /dev/sda shows fine in checking the the smart data. Short test ran
>> fine. Drive also mounted just fine in test box with hot swap bays.
>> My thinking is that because the raid I use for storage of recordings is
>> not available mythbuntu just pukes and goes to the busybox initram
>> prompt no matter what.
>> I would like to recover this and not have to do a complete reinstall.
>> Frankly, I didnt like mythbuntu because of network issues after updates
>> caused me fits. I used to use fedora for my mythtv but didnt like the
>> constant upgrading.
>> Any help on how you would recover this?
>> Joseph
> Give some more info about what it says it fails at.
> Also to disable the raid start remark the relevant lines in
> /etc/mdadm.conf. Also remark out the relevant lines in your
> /etc/fstab so it won't try to mount absent volumes.
>
> Tot mails,
>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

Hello Hika,

Basically this is what I have:

/dev/sda - 500 gig system drive running mythbuntu 12.04 and mythtv .27

/dev/sdb - raid device 1 - 2tb drive member of /dev/md127
/dev/sdc - raid device 2 - 2tb drive member of /dev/md127

Since the raid device 1 died I no longer have a raid. So, I thought -Ok,
I will pickup another drive and build a new raid with it. All the data
is gone. I understand that and can live with it.

However, With the raid non existent the system will not load all the way
and during the boot process it comes to a prompt asking if I want to
skip loading a degraded raid. Doesnt matter if I choose yes or no. It
will then drop to a Initramfs prompt in busybox. So, I cannot start the
operating system without my raid intact. This leads me to the question
of - "How do you repair a raid if it the system will not boot without a
raid?" - To me that is so stupid.

Very similar to this bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/778520

Evidently, Nothing has been done about it and its still going on.

I did remove my mdadm.conf file as its useless now. But the system is
still looking for /dev/md127 which no longer exists really. I tried the
boot argument for not loading the raid but that seems to not work. I
will try removing my mount statement for the raid in fstab though.

Is that enough info?? let me know.

Joseph