[mythtv-users] How do I insert a linefeed in a Custom Record Rule?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 15 15:55:54 UTC 2014

On 04/15/2014 11:28 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Better would be to edit the rule in MythWeb.  However, I recommend only editing existing custom rules (never creating new ones), and only lightly, in MythWeb as there are very few checks in MythWeb, and you can completely break the entire scheduler with a bad custom rule--which would mean you would have no scheduled recordings and your system would be broken until you identify and fix the broken rule.
> I create almost all of my rules in MythWeb - it's just sooooo much easier and I can do it remotely, eg while sat at my desk at work). The trick is to test them when created/edited by looking at upcoming recordings and/or sticking the program title in the search box and see what showings in the list are set to record.
> Mind you, I do have more SQL experience than I suspect is the average for MythTV users.

OK, well if that's true--that you're a class above most in SQL--why are
you telling most (who don't have the SQL experience that you do) that
they /should/ create custom rules in MythWeb even though it has
virtually no safety incorporated?  Or is this just a way to step on the
podium to say you're so good that you can do something dangerous and get
away with it?

My advice stands.  I know SQL pretty well /and/ I know the internal
workings of MythTV and a lot about its scheduler, and I never use
MythWeb to create Custom Rules.  I recommend others do the same--use
mythfrontend to create the rule, after which light editing in MythWeb is
fine.  I've helped users track down "MythTV doesn't work" issues that
were the result of bad Custom Rules they created using MythWeb, which
took 30-60 minutes of my time for each case, and many hours or days of
their MythTV not working, so I know issues happen, and I know how much
of an inconvenience it can be (and how the effects/brokenness may not be
immediately visible).

(Of course, since Custom Rules are the exception and not the, er, rule,
it's not like it's that hard to use mythfrontend to create them.)

Regardless, if people don't want my advice--or just love to disagree
with every bit of it--so be it.  If any of you break your systems, I'll
still have all my recordings and a working system.  And I suppose Simon
is volunteering to support those who think they're above the need for
safeties.

Mike