[mythtv-users] Plex.tv versus MythTV

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Apr 24 14:47:48 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 04:11:46PM +0200, Andréas Kühne wrote:

> > Would anyone familiar with both Plex (or plex.tv) AND MythTV care to
> > explain to me the differences between the two?
> >
> > First point of confusion:  Are they like comparing Apples and Apples, or
> > Apples and Oranges?
> > i.e.: Do they both do the same thing or do they do different things?

[deletia]

> Hi Leif,
>
> I am using both, and can say that you are comparing apples and oranges.

    Kind of sort of but not quite.

    MythTV supports a superset of features supported by Plex. MythTV is
mainly intended to be used with PCs that are capable of decoding content
on their own. The key feature of Plex is transcoding for devices that
can't handle a raw ATSC stream or a raw DVD rip or your home videos.

    Plex can stream to a Roku. So you can use a $60 frontend device rather
than a $300 frontend device. Although you may find that your users prefer
the interface of Myth to Plex.

    Plex is kind of like a cross between XBMC and AirVideo.

[deletia]