[mythtv-users] Intel Graphics Support Question

Nicolas Krzywinski myth at site7even.de
Thu Apr 24 19:10:49 UTC 2014

Am 22.04.2014, 12:58 Uhr, schrieb BobW <bob_pub_mailbox-mytv at yahoo.com>:

> Here is the deal killer for me:
> - About 15% of the time on start up the network won't work. mythBE is
> started but the FE on the same box cannot see it.
>
> - about 95% of the time the system will not shut down. It halts, but
> does not power off.
Hi Bob, those two issues affect me too ... with kind of opposite
percentages :D
and slightly different behaviors.

My onboard nic seems to have init problems, at bootup it goes up and falls
down multiple times before successfully establishing the network
connection. I am unsure whether those are real network sync problems or
other weird stuff, but this does not interests me in detail.

Since upgrade to 0.27 the backends behavior changed for me, letting the
local frontend (re)connect smoothly, but now the backend simply skips the
lan ip address if it is not available in time, binding to loopback only,
though it is explicitely configured to use the lan address. This results
in kind of isolation towards all network frontends and mythweb as well.

Therefore I made two little scripts to solve the network issue once and
forever:
http://www.nskcomputing.de/download/files/wait-network.sh
http://www.nskcomputing.de/index.php?section=Download&id=checknet

Insert your IP and network interface name in the wait script and try it
out in the mythbackend init script /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf somewhere
in the pre-start section, e. g. as follows:

pre-start script
	exec 2>>/var/log/upstart/mythtv-backend-error.log
	set -x

	echo "`date +'%FT%T.%N%:z'` - pre-start START"

	/usr/bin/wait-network

	[ -x /usr/sbin/mysqld ] || exit 0
	for i in `seq 1 30` ; do
		/usr/bin/mysqladmin --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf ping
> /dev/null && break
		sleep .5
	done

	echo "`date +'%FT%T.%N%:z'` - pre-start END"
end script

What it does is calling the check network script in a loop with half a
second delay until it returns ok four times in a row to assure that the
network is up and stable.

If your issue is different, adjust the wait script to fit your needs.

Check /var/log/upstart/mythtv-backend.log to see what happens at startup,
especially the wait script's output which is printed there.

check-network.sh itself logs to /var/log/check-network.log - you may
adjust the logging in the script's header.

For the shutdown hang I have no solution until now, but I learned from a
mail here on the list that there exists a magic thing called watchdog
which I will try out somewhen. But this issue hits me occasionally only.

If you need support, feel free to ask for!

Good luck,
Nicolas