[mythtv-users] Plex.tv versus MythTV

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 20:40:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:

> Would anyone familiar with both Plex (or plex.tv) AND MythTV care to
> explain to me the differences between the two?
>
> First point of confusion:  Are they like comparing Apples and Apples, or
> Apples and Oranges?
> i.e.: Do they both do the same thing or do they do different things?

I use both. I use MythTV for recording content, and Plex for everything
else. Plex is leaps and bounds above MythTV for media indexing and
playback, but offers no DVR capabilities.

Both systems use a similar client and server model. Plex has the Plex Media
Server and MythTV has 1 or more back ends, and plays back media on front
ends. Plex is much easier to connect to remotely  and (arguably) supports
more client architectures than Myth. Plex Media Server will transcode your
media automatically depending on your connection speed, while Myth will not
without some work behind the scenes.

For clients on Plex I use Plex Home Theater on my Linux, Mac and Windows
machines, the mobile applications for my Samsung phone, iPod and iPad, Roku
and Chromecast on my various home TVs, and web interface when at work.
There's also a Raspberry Pi client but I could never get it to work and
honestly, now that Chromecasts and Rokus are under $50, don't really see a
need for it.

For clients on Myth I use the respective front end apps for Linux, Mac and
Windows and Torc on my iPad. I recently set up the MythTV channel for Plex
which, while not great, allows me to watch my recordings on any of the
aforementioned Plex devices from anywhere I want. There is a way to get
Myth recordings into Plex's "TV Shows" section using symlinks and some
kung-fu but it's not easy and fairly problematic. Still, when it works it
is fantastic.