[mythtv-users] fire tv as mythtv frontend

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 04:46:30 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Bryan Dagerman <bdagerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> The XBMC wiki on it says it doesn't do hardware decode of MPEG-2, which is
> (I think) what recordings from the HDHomeRun are. So if that is the case, I
> wonder how well it will do playing those recordings.

HDHR recordings, like all digital TV recordings in mythtv are whatever
the broadcaster sends, so yes in the US/Canada that is mpeg 2. Here it
is h264.

I think it will handle mpeg2 ok in software, but deinterlacing is
definitely an issue.

Also of course android seems to be stuck on 60Hz playback, which sucks
for 24p movies or PAL countries.

I was initially interested in importing one, but my interest has waned
over these issues. I'd be more interested in a $169US chromebox, which
will run linux, including openelec.