[mythtv-users] UPnP - gupnp-av-cp and a TV set have the same problem with MythTV (was: Philips 32PFL5007K/12 TV ... )

Janusz S. Bien jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Thu Aug 21 06:17:41 UTC 2014

Quote/Cytat - mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org (Thu 21 Aug 2014
06:11:04 AM CEST):

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 22:57:06 +0100
> From: John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Philips 32PFL5007K/12 TV set and a UPnP
> 	problem

> I'm replying via the archives so message threading will be uncertain;

Thanks for the answer. I've changed the subject to make it more adequate.

> and I have no experience with this TV set.

Fortunately (?) the problem can be reproduced without a TV set.

> Nor do I know the format of your files.

I'm a complete novice, I don't change the defaults.

The files extension is mpg, the file program reports "MPEG transport
stream data"

> Nevertheless...
>
> The Myth UPnP server treats 'recordings' and 'videos' differently and
> you might find that your files will play as videos - although I find
> that the duration/progress info is missing then.

My Video directory is empty.

> If you want to make routine use of UPnP you will probably want to be
> able to skip commercials,

It's on.

> and IIUC that will require something like
> 'lossless transcoding' first.

Again I depend on the defaults settings.

> That may change the file format too.  I
> found I could play a raw recording but not one that had been cut, unless
> it was presented as a 'video'; I now apply a patch for that, but I have
> no way of knowing if it would help you :-)  A ticket search for 'UPnP
> regression' should find it.

It's here:

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12181

My recordings without postprocessing have the same problem.

Please note:

Quote/Cytat - "Janusz S. Bien" <jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl> (Mon 18 Aug 2014
02:30:07 PM CEST):

> All the MythTV recordings (at least all tested) can be played on the
> TV set when served by rygel. So the problem seems to be MythTV
>  specific.

I've sent more detailed description to gupnp-list :

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gupnp-list/2014-August/msg00000.html

> When using GNu UPnP AV Control Point the problems are analogical to
> that with my TV set: I am able to play MythTV recordings (in mpg
> format) when served by rygel but not when served by the MythTV
> backend.

> When the MythTV backend is up, then I can browse the recording but
> there is no renderer selected. Moreover when I try to play a recording
> anyway, I get the message "no compatible URI found".

Unfortunately I got no answer (yet?), the list doesn't seem active.

Best regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)