[mythtv-users] Mythbackend suddenly deleting everything marked for deletion including unwatched

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 1 03:39:58 UTC 2014

> On 1 Feb 2014, at 1:58 pm, "Hika van den Hoven" <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hoi R.G.,
>
> Saturday, February 1, 2014, 4:15:06 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Were the actual files deleted or only the entries in the database? These
>> two manifestations point to entirely different problems.
>> If the first, I would suspect the hard drive or controller, possibly caused
>> by a power surge. Thge second could also be caused by a power surge, and
>> possibly could be fixed by optimize-db.
>> But I am guessing here.
>> Geoff
>> Psvthis *should* come out as bottom boosted, if the setting does what it
>> sasys. New toy, my apologies if wrong.
>
>> Sent with AquaMail for Android
>> http://www.aqua-mail.com
>

>> On January 31, 2014 10:03:05 PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Hoi Discussion,
>>>
>>>  Some two hours ago I had the weirdest thing.
>>>  I was watching a recording and when it finished it sprang as usual
>>>  back to the list (unwatched recordings) and I saw some recordings
>>>  marked as unfindable. If had that before and restarting the viewer
>>>  solved it. But not this time. All recording not marked to keep where
>>>  gone, including a few unwatched and the one I had just watched.
>>>  When I realised what had happend I took the backend and the volume
>>>  offline. I'm now running an undelete with ext4magic on everything
>>>  recorded the last month, which seems to go fine. I only had first to
>>>  create space to store the files. The deleted files are some 180 Gb
>>>  and what I,m now undeleting is something in between a quarter and a
>>>  half of that, but I probably only want to restore the unwatched
>>>  ones.
>>>
>>>  Anybody an idea how this happened and how to restore the recordings
>>>  to the database. I could restore the database to last night, but
>>>  that leaves today out.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tot Mails,
>>> Hika                          mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>> Mijn Mailadres is gewijzigd. Zie hierboven!
>>>
>>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>>
>>> De lerende Mens

> They where physically deleted. To me it seems like it suddenly decided
> it needed much more space. To me it sounds like it got some wrong
> input about either needed space or available space.  Luckily it
> stopped at recordings marked to keep. The deleted recordings I hadn't
> yet watched are maybe 3, 5 at the most.
> I will look into the logs, but haven't had time. I first had to
> secure the volume and undelete what I can.
> I'm thinking of restoring last nights backup in parallel and copying
> the relevant records.

+1 to seeing what hints are in the logs. Would hate to restore the backup from 24hrs ago for it to just do exactly the same thing 24hrs later.

I would also secure any recent backups and run a new backup ASAP just to try and keep options available, don't want your best backup to get overwritten by a junk one if your system is set to only keep a couple.