[mythtv-users] Suggestions for a stable backend

EJS ejshoor at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 1 16:54:47 UTC 2014

On 1/03/14 03:42, warp me wrote:
> BTW: may You little more elaborate about this "special version of the
> motherboard bios". How You find it, what is solves, who prepare it, etc…

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Yes.  I think the bios/second tuner is the likely culprit. It was a while ago when I first installed it so I don't remember exactly what happened, but I think that the system was pretty stable with just one tuner. When I tried to install the second one, the os would not recognize it. Eventually I found this posting on a gigabyte message board http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,6608.msg52623.html#msg52623 about a custom bios that they had produced for a customer that added compatibility for PCI-E 2.1 cards. (I don't remember why I this would have only affected the second card.) In any case, the bios wasn't released publicly but someone uploaded to the forum; so I gave it a try and it worked. (Well, except for the stability problems.)

I'll try upgrading the os/myth versions to cover my bases, but Im not optimistic.  If that doesn't help, I'll pull the card and see if things stabilize.  If it does, which is more likely, I think it will be a choice of either replacing the motherboard or the tuner cards. It sounds like the rest of the system (e.g. cpu/ram) has enough beef for what I am trying to do.

Any suggestions on moving to 13.04 vs 14.04? I like being on an LTS release, but 14.04 is pretty new.  I'd hate to introduce a set of new problems.

Ill let you know how things play out. Maybe it will help somebody else.

-J