[mythtv-users] HD Choppy or Jerky

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat Feb 1 19:56:43 UTC 2014

I have an HDHomeRun Prime. I can successfully view standard definition
channels from Comcast with it. But when I try to view HD channels the
video is occasionally choppy or jerky, and the audio is out of sync. I
can play back some HD content. I downloaded the HD version of Big Buck
Bunny, and also have an HD episode of a TV show I recorded using my old
HDHomeRun, the one with two antenna connectors on the back. In both of
those cases the video is rock solid and the sound is in sync throughout
the recordings. It's not consistent or predictable, but I usually get
some picture breakup and also sound drop outs with VLC Media Player
tuning an HD station. (I didn't use MythTV to do these later recordings.
I just used the command line tools that are available for the HDHomeRun
Prime.)

The hardware consists of a Lenovo ThinkCentre M58P, specifically a
7483AEU, 2GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 320 GB
hard drive, and an eVGA (nVidia) GeForce GT-610 video card, feeding a
Panasonic TC-42PX14.T Plasma TV. The house network is a Linksys WRT54G
router, CAT-5 cable, and 10/100 Ethernet. I don't use the wireless side
of the router.

At this point I'm not convinced the GeForce GT-610 is up to the task. I
consulted:
      http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Choosing_Frontend_Hardware
but found that where it says, "anything nVidia 8-series or better," it
refers to products nVidia considers Previous Generation Products. See:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html

On that page, the 610 is listed under a column heading that says,
"Supercharged performance for your HD videos and photos, immersive 3D
movies, and entry level gaming." Based on that I would expect the 610 to
be able to handle HD video. However, I've heard that the 610 might be
marginal.

I've also had hints that some versions of VLC Media Player introduce
problems. The version I have is the one Ubuntu 12.04 includes, which is
2.0.8.

So, I'm hoping the collected wisdom on this list can offer some
recommendations on how to figure out my choppy video/out of sync audio.

My eventual plan is to install MythTV on this box. But I have a couple
of other MythTV related issues, which I'll bring up in separate threads.

Thanks for any advice.

--
Regards,
Dick Steffens