[mythtv-users] cannot play bluray or dvd's in .27

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Feb 1 23:02:33 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 01:32:36PM +0000, Tony Gould wrote:
> hi Doug,
>
> that's interesting. I have some DVDs with 6 episodes or so per DVD
> and I tried to get them into mythvideo using several different
> programs, including dd, dvd rip and so on (these programs worked for
> other DVDs). You're saying that makemkv could do this? It looks like
> it's free for DVDs. I have VLC setup to play various files already
> on different frontends so obviously adding another file type would
> be v easy.

    The problem there is that you need something along the lines of a CD
ripper and DVD equivalents of those programs really don't exist. There's
an obscure Mac one but that's about it. So you're left with a scripting
task and a bit of typing. Although it's pretty simple most of the time.
The structure of most DVDs is very predictable and easy to discern with
the tools available for Linux.

    Matching tracks to episode names is the ugly bit. That part is pretty
much manual.

[deletia]