[mythtv-users] HD Choppy or Jerky

Bret Clark bac52266 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 23:34:14 UTC 2014

On 02/01/2014 02:56 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> I have an HDHomeRun Prime. I can successfully view standard definition
> channels from Comcast with it. But when I try to view HD channels the
> video is occasionally choppy or jerky, and the audio is out of sync. I
> can play back some HD content. I downloaded the HD version of Big Buck
> Bunny, and also have an HD episode of a TV show I recorded using my
> old HDHomeRun, the one with two antenna connectors on the back. In
> both of those cases the video is rock solid and the sound is in sync
> throughout the recordings. It's not consistent or predictable, but I
> usually get some picture breakup and also sound drop outs with VLC
> Media Player tuning an HD station. (I didn't use MythTV to do these
> later recordings. I just used the command line tools that are
> available for the HDHomeRun Prime.)
>
> The hardware consists of a Lenovo ThinkCentre M58P, specifically a
> 7483AEU, 2GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 320 GB
> hard drive, and an eVGA (nVidia) GeForce GT-610 video card, feeding a
> Panasonic TC-42PX14.T Plasma TV. The house network is a Linksys WRT54G
> router, CAT-5 cable, and 10/100 Ethernet. I don't use the wireless
> side of the router.
>
> At this point I'm not convinced the GeForce GT-610 is up to the task.
> I consulted:
>      http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Choosing_Frontend_Hardware
> but found that where it says, "anything nVidia 8-series or better," it
> refers to products nVidia considers Previous Generation Products. See:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html
>
> On that page, the 610 is listed under a column heading that says,
> "Supercharged performance for your HD videos and photos, immersive 3D
> movies, and entry level gaming." Based on that I would expect the 610
> to be able to handle HD video. However, I've heard that the 610 might
> be marginal.
>
> I've also had hints that some versions of VLC Media Player introduce
> problems. The version I have is the one Ubuntu 12.04 includes, which
> is 2.0.8.
>
> So, I'm hoping the collected wisdom on this list can offer some
> recommendations on how to figure out my choppy video/out of sync audio.
>
> My eventual plan is to install MythTV on this box. But I have a couple
> of other MythTV related issues, which I'll bring up in separate threads.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

I use  Geforce 210 to watch 1080p stuff with no problem. You're 610
should be fine to view your HD video, you might want to try installing
Nvidia drivers from their site to make sure you are using GPU on the
video card to decode you're video, otherwise you might be using the CPU
instead which can result in the issues you stated.

Bret