[mythtv-users] HD Choppy or Jerky

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 05:02:20 UTC 2014

On 2/1/14, 11:49 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> I appreciate all the responses to my questions. The leading contender
> seems to be potential bottlenecks in the house network. I neglected to
> mention a couple of switches in the system, some old enough that they
> do not support 10/100/1000 speed, only 10/100. I have come up with a
> test that I hope will help determine if network speed is the issue.
>
> One of my four port switches supports 10/100/1000 Ethernet. I
> installed it in the living room because I only have two CAT-5 cables
> going there and they were both in use before adding the potential Myth
> box to the room. My plan is to move the HDHomeRun Prime to the living
> room, using a splitter there so it shares the RG-mumble cable feeding
> my old Comcast cable box. Connect the Ethernet side of the HDHomeRun
> Prime to the 10/100/1000 switch. Connect the Lenovo M58P to that same
> switch. Leave the connection to the router on that switch, too, since
> both of the other devices need DHCP from the router.
>
> If my assumption is correct, short, un-kinked CAT-5 cables going from
> the switch to the HDHomeRun Prime and my Lenovo should operate at 1000
> when talking to each other. The only time they would operate at 100
> would be while getting their IP assignment, or when the Lenovo needed
> to talk to the outside world.
>
> Does this sound reasonable? Am I missing something?

Not too bad.
The majority of my home network is hanging off of a Cisco Catalyst 4000
switch. The servers live on the gigabit segment, one uplink to each
floor and one dumb gigabit switch in the bedroom, one built-in gigabit
switch in the livingroom.
One slave server is on the 100 meg segment.
My HDHomerun Prime is on the livingroom dumb switch/router.
My primary BE is an old Dell Poweredge 2850 server, my slave BE is an
ancient Dell Precision 530MT machine with a whopping two gigs of RAM.
My only issue initially was getting the 2850 to talk on the gigabit
segment, but that was trivial to fix.
Well, my *real* issue is a perennial one, that of drive space.  ;)

So, you are on a good path for this science project!  :)