[mythtv-users] Is there an approved may to remove frontend settings?

Tony Gould antonyjgould+myth at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 17:49:55 UTC 2014

Bill Meek wrote, on 02/02/14 16:48:

> Hi,
>
> I respectfully disagree. There are also tables with a column name of
> 'host',
> so the list is longer.
>
> You can do the above, with as many backups as you like. If a problem
> shows up
> immediately, you're lucky and a restore gets you up and running. That
> also
> assumes that any problems are identifiable either in operation or in
> the logs.
>
> If you're not lucky, a problem occurs days/weeks/years later and you
> likely
> have forgotten about what was done plus the backups created at the
> time are
> useless. Or, maybe a future upgrade changes a table that was missed or
> had
> rows incorrectly deleted and the update process fails.
>
> I'd suggest leaving well enough alone. Your computer, your choice...
>
> Ah, what Raymond said (define the need.)

for what it's worth, I agree with Bill. I'm happy to change some of the
other tables with SQL (backing up every step of the way), but I wouldn't
go near the settings table. I thought about doing it once, but after
doing a SELECT query to see what was there I quickly decided it was a
very risky idea.