[mythtv-users] Lots of weird unexpected files in an unexpected place

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 05:45:27 UTC 2014

On 02/06/2014 11:14 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> The Box was acting a bit funky tonight, so I did my usual SA run, checking
> stuff like disk space.
>
> And / was at 96%.
>
> Largely because of 2,5GB of semi-random stuff in:
>
>    /var/lib/mythtv/.mythtv/tmp/hls
>
> mostly with names ending in .ts.
>
> I would assume those are MPEG TS segments, but
>
> 1) Why are they there at all?
> 2) Why are they still there from last Nov 27?
> 3) Why are they on *my root filesystem*?
> 4) Can I whack them safely?

Hi,

1) Did you recently start using a cell/ipad/tablet that plays
recordings from your backend? OK, November isn't really
recent...

If so, it likely transcodes recordings. A single program
could have 300+ audio *and* video files.

2) At least one client (MythTV Android Frontend) doesn't
remove the files automatically. Users must choose to remove
them. If a recording was transcoded, shouldn't the user
decide when to remove it?

3) They are put in the Streaming Storage Group. If you don't
create one, a Built-In one is used. The path chosen is:
$HOME/.mythtv/tmp/hls of the user that the backend runs as.
In your case, that appears to be on the root FS.

I believe that users should create the Streaming group rather
that use the Built-In. Much like users choose the directories
used in the Default group for recordings. But that's just me.

4) Not really. If 1) is true, your client may have a 'button' to
remove the transcoded recording. Using it would make both the
client and BE happy. If you just remove the files, then you'll
have stale entries in the livestream table. It wouldn't be a
disaster though. If 1) isn't true, you've just read entirely
too much blather...

--
Bill