[mythtv-users] Broken Setup Screens

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 8 18:07:04 UTC 2014

fixed top posting

On 02/08/2014 01:01 PM, Dustin Oprea wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 02/08/2014 12:41 PM, Dustin Oprea wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using Mythbuntu for about two and a half years, and it's been
>>> fine, to within an acceptable degree of error. However, during the last
>>> six-months, I've no longer been able to use the keyboard to navigate
>>> through the setup screens, and I can't activate text-fields by clicking on
>>> them with the mouse.
>>>
>>> I tried doing an autoremove and purge on the MythTV packages (I renamed
>>> the configuration directory), but it did no good. I upgraded to 13.10, but
>>> that didn't have an effect, either.
>>>

>>> Any ideas? I'm out of options.
>>>
>> Usually this is a focus issue.  Try focusing some other window (even a
>> terminal window or something), then going back to MythTV (using Alt-Tab or
>> whatever is configured for your Window Manager).
> I've already indicated that clicking on the fields doesn't help.
>
> Also, it's as if the fields are disabled (the default/placeholder text is
> ghosted).

Clicking in a window or even a widget within a window doesn't always fix
focus issues associated with the window.  Often you /must/ unfocus the
window completely (focusing a different/unrelated window), then re-focus
the window.  It shouldn't take long to try (probably less time than it
took me to recommend the approach, then encourage you to actually try
it), and it's well worth a try.

Mike