[mythtv-users] MythTV Backend Setup fails on first steps

Dustin Oprea myselfasunder at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 21:41:52 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:

>  On 02/08/2014 01:07 PM, glen wrote:
>

> try looking at /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
>
> use the db password listed there in your password field on the setup screen
>

> ~$ less /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
> /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt: No such file or directory
>
> There are two files in /etc/mythtv. They are config.xml and
> session-settings. There is no mysql.txt.
>
> Should that file contain more than the mythtv db user password? Is it
> something I can simply create? Or does the lack of said file point to other
> potential issues?

I can't speak for the *mysql.txt* file, as I wasn't aware of it (it might
be new), but the *config.xml* file has another password in it.

Before I move on, I'd like to mention that you were passing "-password" to
your MySQL client, above, but it should be "--password".

You can get more information about how Myth is connecting by using the
MySQL query-log. At its simplest (with Ubuntu), you just have to stop your
MySQL daemon ("sudo service mysql stop"), and then restart it, like this:

sudo mysqld --general-log=1 --general-log-file=/tmp/query.log

In another terminal, run "sudo tail -f /tmp/query.log". Then, when the auth
fails, you can see the username and host that was attempted:

140208 16:34:54        1 Connect    root at localhost on
            1 Connect    Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

Now, it's just a matter of making sure the user exists, and perhaps
grep'ing your config files to see if that user is defined there, and seeing
what password is configured in the same place.

No matter what the problem is, it's probably simple. It's most likely just
making sure that you know which Myth config file has what you're looking
for, but it could also be a binding issue or an incorrect user hostname
with MySQL.

Dustin Oprea