[mythtv-users] What happens if MythTV can't find the recorded files?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 17:19:25 UTC 2014

Hoi Jon,

> Hi,

> I finally cleared some problems and will be trying to move my MythTV
> frontend/backend to a new machine today.  Unfortunately I didn't get
> this done before the Olympics, so I'm trying to watch several hours of
> recorded coverage while doing this.  This is my plan, please note that
> the drive I record all my MythTV programs to is an external drive that
> I will be moving to the new computer to transfer the current recording
> libraray:

> 1) Copy the recorded Olympics program to an internal HD.
> 2) Add that location using mythtv-setup
> 3) Restart the backend (if needed)
> 4) unmount the external drive.
> 5) watch the Olympics from the internal HD

> At this point I'm not sure if this will even work at all.  My biggest
> fear is that when MythTV can't find all the missing recorded programs
> it will mark them all as missing and I won't be able to watch them
> through the frontend again later.  So what will it do?

> Thanks,
> Jon

In the recorded table in the database you have a field 'hostname' and
'storagegroup'. Together with 'basename' (=filename) it defines where
the recording is located. When I moved my backend I changed all the
hostnames to the new one. I asume if you also add the new
directorypath to the storagegroup it will find the files. As the
hostname is also in the storagegroup location, adding the new path on
the new backend alone might do the trick. Afterwards you can delete
the old location from the storagegroup.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven