[mythtv-users] Experience with Haswell VAAPI playback

Andrew Leech coronasensei at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 03:47:02 UTC 2014

On 11/02/2014 10:33 AM, Martin Moores wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am planning a backend upgrade, but am struggling with choices of
> hardware. I think I have narrowed things down to two options:
>
> Intel i3 with GT640 dedicated graphics and using VDPAU
>
> Intel i5, providing decent Intel HD 4600 graphics and using VAAPI
>
> Prices will most likely be similar for both options.
>
> I have been reading around a lot, some people saying VAAPI is working
> great, others saying that a dedicated nVidia card is the way to go.
> Would be quite nice to save having another card in the case, extra fan
> and noise etc.
>
> Any thoughts on my proposed options would great, would really
> appreciate a few opinions before parting with my cash.
>
> Should note I am in the UK and this is for a combined fe / be machine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,
I've got a combined frontend/backend running on a i3-4130 using the
onchip intel graphics via opengl with quite good results using greedy
highmotion and/or yadif deinterlacers.
I tried vaapi initially but had a lot on instability still, with either
xorg-edgers drivers or intels' download.01.org ones.

Greedy 2x was giving me some terrible tearing (my other half never
noticed however) on my sony 32" though but yadif 1x looks great to me.
Haven't tried other settings yet.
I have ~ 30% cpu utilization playing back hd content. The same pc also
runs a number of network services and a separate linux vm used for
web/email hosting.

I was running everything on 1080 until a few days ago when I switched to
720 as I was getting a lot of slowness on the interface, even though
playback was fine at 1080.
I haven't yet set up separate modes for interface and playback, not sure
if I'll bother as on my 32" I don't notice a lot of difference between them.

I'm in AU so have pretty similar setup I reckon, dvb-t tuners (3 at the
moment on 2 pcie cards). I'm running linux mint 15 and mythtv 0.27 fwiw

Cheers,
Andrew