[mythtv-users] TV Overscan

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Feb 12 23:28:41 UTC 2014

I have a Panasonic TC-42PX14 Plasma TV. When using an HDMI input it has
a 1260 x 720 display resolution. However, it also does overscan. I'm not
sure exactly how much, but I do lose about 3/4 of the bar at the top of
my "desktop" as well as about 3/4 of the bar at the bottom. I can't tell
about how much I'm losing on the two sides.

I've Googled this issue a bit but not since joining this mailing list,
and I have found that there isn't a way to adjust the TV. I've seen
references to how it used to be possible to make that adjustment with
the nVidia driver, and that said facility was taken away, but it's still
possible to do. Not enough detail is provided in those sources to tell
me just where or how to do that.

Is this something the collected wisdom here is aware of, or would this
be better handled on an nVidia forum?

Note that I found where I can adjust the amount of the front end theme
is displayed by using the Appearance section of the video setup in the
front end. What I want to do is to be able to see all of the top and
bottom bars, so I can see what I'm clicking on. My guesses have been
pretty good, but it's a bit annoying.

And, on a related note, is there a place where I can tell the front end
to go to full screen mode, so that the rest of the desktop disappears?

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens