[mythtv-users] TV Overscan

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Feb 13 02:51:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:

>>> There are possibilities with adapted modelines, but that takes a lot
>>> of testing and trial and error.

I would try to avoid that method if you can.  If the TV is doing
overscan, you're never going to get a good picture by tweaking the
video card output.  The best you can do is compensate by shrinking the
image down so that when the TV blows it up you don't lose the edges,
but you definitely will lose sharpness by this.

I'm sure you've read your TV's manual:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TC42PX14.PDF

Page 47 discusses the aspect ratio options.  The settings here should
adjust the overscan, using either JUST or ZOOM.  You may need to play
with it a bit to get it just right.

If that doesn't work, then I would suggest you try switching to
feeding the TV with analog VGA.  Usually TVs do not overscan video
from a VGA input and the image quality of non-overscanned VGA is
actually much higher than overscanned HDMI.  If you can't find any way
to turn off the overscan, it's a simple option.

Eric