[mythtv-users] Upcoming recordings gone every reboot

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 18:42:25 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> Upcoming recordings are not stored in the database.  They are only stored in
> memory, and then only after the scheduler has had a chance to run and
> compute them.  How much time are you giving the upcoming recordings to show
> up before you restart the backend?

And, in particular, the first run of the scheduler after a reboot can
sometimes take longer than follow-on runs since the mysql server
has to read a lot more data from disk (which is afterwards cached
in memory either by both/either the linux buffer cache and the
database buffer pool), and the database has not yet performed other
optimizations (query caches, etc.).  In my specific case, the
first run of the scheduler after reboot takes about 30 times longer
than the subsequent ones (~ 3 seconds, vs ~.1 seconds).