[mythtv-users] Legacy drives and new motherboards

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Feb 21 07:44:13 UTC 2014

Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> I just waged an epic battle to get a new mobo with 6GBps SATA ports to recognize my legacy 3GBps hard drives.

Ahh, a whole new chapter in the "how can a vendor screw things up" manual.

> My Asus Z87 mobo bios doesn't recognize those drives at all but they show up as soon as the kernel slows the ports down.

There's an argument for sending it back as faulty. It is (AIUI) a mandatory part of the SATA spec that ports will negotiate with the other end of the link and settle on a mutually acceptable speed - thus the 6G port should automatically settle at 3G with the older drive. If the BIOS/EFI firmware doesn't setup the hardware properly, then the board as a whole is faulty.

And manufacturers won't give a s**t unless they get complaints from the customers, and more importantly returns from the wholesalers which hit them in the pocket.