[mythtv-users] Legacy drives and new motherboards

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Feb 21 13:03:03 UTC 2014

On 02/20/2014 11:44 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>
>> I just waged an epic battle to get a new mobo with 6GBps SATA ports to recognize my legacy 3GBps hard drives.
> Ahh, a whole new chapter in the "how can a vendor screw things up" manual.
>
>> My Asus Z87 mobo bios doesn't recognize those drives at all but they show up as soon as the kernel slows the ports down.
> There's an argument for sending it back as faulty. It is (AIUI) a mandatory part of the SATA spec that ports will negotiate with the other end of the link and settle on a mutually acceptable speed - thus the 6G port should automatically settle at 3G with the older drive. If the BIOS/EFI firmware doesn't setup the hardware properly, then the board as a whole is faulty.
>
> And manufacturers won't give a s**t unless they get complaints from the customers, and more importantly returns from the wholesalers which hit them in the pocket.
As I said in my other reply, the mobo is fine.  I am very happy with the
Asus mobos in general; I have 3 of them now; two in 24/7 service for 5
or 6 years.  In fact the Z87-V Pro is a great backend mobo with 8 SATA
ports.

The SATA implementation on some drives is broken.  Specifically, in my
case, the Seagate ST1500DL003 1.5TB drives don't negotiate the speed
correctly.  Of course, I have 3 of them....  The other Seagate, Hitachi,
and Samsung drives work fine.