velberrocks velberrocks at gmx.net
Fri Feb 21 14:54:38 UTC 2014

> Message: 10
> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:02:03 +0000
> From: Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] SAT>IP supported?
>
> Tim Draper <veehexx at zoho.com> wrote:
>
>>> is SAT>IP (Sat over IP, SAT-IP) supported as video source?
>
>> looks like a dvb-s2 version of the HDhomerunner boxes?
>
> That was my thought as well. But as Nick Rout points out, you can put a backend with tuners close to your feed and use MythTV to achieve the same thing.
>
> As to whether this particular service/device is supported, isn't it a case of whether the V4L project support it ? Ie if it's supported by V4L and appears as a "tuner" then Myth will use it.

When installing a sat antenna I would have to place the Sat>IP Server in our sleeping room. You are right, I also could use MythTV as backend for the whole house. But the MythTV box has active components (hard disk and fans). These are specially selected silent components - but I think I would hear them at night. And in addition I would have to buy several MythTV frontends for full functionality.

So I prefer to place a Sat>IP server in our sleeping room and use the Sat>IP signal as video source in MythTV. It would be great to find a solution.