[mythtv-users] My upgrade from Mythbuntu 10.10 to 12.04

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Feb 23 02:01:18 UTC 2014

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:56:48 -0500, you wrote:

>Issue #2: One thing I ran into after a short amount of time is the
>"allocation failed: out of vmalloc space" bug.  Apparently this is a
>common problem on 32bit systems (I only have 2GB of RAM, so I can't
>imagine any benefit of going 64-bit.).
><http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Common_Problem:_vmalloc_too_small>  I first
>tried setting 192MB, and that helped, but eventually, I encountered the
>dreaded "NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU while in atomic
>or interrupt context" bug again.   After updating to 256MB, I haven't
>had a problem.

Updating to 64-bit really is recommended for just about everyone now.
The differences in how the address space works just make life so much
easier.  I used to have the same vmalloc problems you did on 10.04 and
10.10, but they just go away along with a number of other annoyances
in 64-bit.  If your processor does 64-bit, then that is what you
should be using.

>Issue #3: My remote didn't work anymore.  Given the behavior during
>install, this was no surprise.  Just restore /etc/lirc and ~/.lirc from
>backup.

A lot of the remote drivers moved into the kernel and that has caused
quite a bit of trouble for people.  If yours really is working
properly again just by restoring the old config files, you are quite
lucky.

>Issue #4: My AT TV Wonder 600 wasn't working quite right.  Every second
>or so I'd see in dmesg:
>lgdt330x: i2c_read_demod_bytes: addr 0x0e select 0x58 error (ret == -19)
>As described here <https://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?p=1092> restarting
>mythbackend fixes the problem.   My complete hack workaround was to add
>to /etc/rc.local:
>sleep 30 && /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart &
>For some reason, if I'd restart mythtv-backend too soon, it wouldn't fix
>the problem.   Given how rarely the system is rebooted, I didn't look
>into this further.

The backend has been converted to use upstart.  The proper way to
restart it is with "restart mythtv-backend".  Take a look at
/etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf and put your delay in there to get it to
start up correctly.  Even better would be to work out exactly what it
needs to wait for and to add a proper condition for upstart in the
"start on" line.

>Issue #5: When going to shutdown or reboot the system, it would go to
>the splash screen and just sit there.  I'd have to run "reboot" again
>for it to actually reboot.   I later discovered that this was an unclean
>reboot as the filesystems weren't unmounted.  To troubleshoot this, I
>disabled the splash/quiet stuff in grub:
>GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
>in /etc/default/grub and then sudo update-grub

You normally do not have to change the grub settings to see the
messages at startup and shutdown.  Just hit the Escape key on the
keyboard to switch to the messages and back again.

>With this change, I found that it was hanging on K19lirc.  My workaround
>here is to remove both /etc/rc0.d/K19lirc and /etc/rc6.d/K19lirc.  I
>can't imagine any negative aspect of rebooting without "cleaning up"
>lircd, or whatever K19lirc is doing.  But the system reboots fine now.

I have a similar problem on my laptop, which I have not yet figured
out the exact cause for.  In my case, I found that unplugging my
Hauppauge HVR-900 R2 USB tuner before shutting down fixed the problem.
So I would be interested to know if you have a Hauppauge tuner with an
IR remote interface that might be causing the lockup for you.