[mythtv-users] MythTV deletes recordigs

Dustin Oprea myselfasunder at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 15:15:48 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 02/15/2014 02:22 PM, Damian (who's also listed as Forum, below) wrote:

>>> I'd be interested in knowing. Its been doing this for 2.5 years, for me.
>>>

>>> The entries will be there, but disabled. The files will be gone. No disk
>>> checks have been done.
>>>

> That means your capture device provided no data, whatsoever, during
> recording, so MythTV never actually wrote any file (because there was
> nothing to write) and didn't report any error because your capture device
> drivers didn't report any error.  The capture device drivers need to be
> fixed to actually report errors when there's an error.

The recordings were there for a week, a month, or a year, and then,
suddenly, were deleted. I experience this phenomenon only with Myth
recordings (and no other files on that volume).

>  on my MythTV, entries went away AND recordingfiles are also deleted.
>>

> That means they were expired, due to lack of free space.
>
> If they're old recordings, then everything worked as designed.  If they
> were brand new, you may have a less than ideal setup (either with too
> little space or with your system writing to a too-small file system or
> similar) that can typically be made better with proper reconfiguration.
>  For example, users often leave the default Storage Group Disk Scheduler
> selected, even when they fill up all their file systems, and it results in
> a feedback loop that eventually means new recordings are being deleted
> while old ones on other file systems are never deleted.

I have a 15T, RAID5 volume that everything is stored to (9T are free), and
it happens to new and old recordings, alike. If you're saying that
something was designed to remove things automatically, then I assume that
you're referring to expiration. However, if things were being expired (if
expiration wasn't completely turned-off), it'd be clipping the records from
the DB, too.

It's a bug, unless someone with more internal knowledge than I do can set
me right.

Dustin