[mythtv-users] Clearing autoexpire list of missing recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 24 19:35:21 UTC 2014

On 02/24/2014 10:46 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Alternatively, if it's a lot of files, you can use find_orphans.py (as
>>> linked previously), which does work fine with 0.27.
>> This hasn't been my experience.  I would go so far as to say it just
>> doesn't work at all.  For me, at least.  It may delete a few
>> recordings, but it tends to crash the backend and leave most things
>> undeleted.
>>
>> I'll see if I can run the backend under the debugger and get a stack trace.
>>
> doesn't the OP deleting grayed out recordings after his drive died
> indicate that they were deleted improperly, and therefore should be
> "touched" so Myth can handle them properly?   Just for my own
> clarification.  Daryl

Read the rest of what I wrote, that was cut out of the e-mail you
replied to:

>>> Meaning there's /no/ need whatsoever (and hasn't been for at least 6
>>> or 7 years) to touch filenames/make files for MythTV to delete--as
>>> long as you delete things properly--specifically, follow the
>>> instructions at:
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_do_I_remove_recordings_that_no_longer_exist_on_disk.3F

where the wiki entry is the proper way to delete *recordings* /after/
recording files are improperly deleted.

So, no need to touch if you do it that way.  And, no need to touch if
you use find_orphans.py.  People only think you need to create fake
files because they don't follow the instructions in the wiki entry
properly and so the backend doesn't delete files because it will only do
so if you do it properly, whereby you're saying, "I know the file
doesn't exist, and it's not just a matter of the file system being
unmounted, so please delete the recording anyway."  And, since so many
people have been saying for so many years to touch files, we still have
people using a prehistoric way of cleaning up after problems.

Mike