[mythtv-users] tuner numbering

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 19:41:08 UTC 2014

Hoi Chris,

> On 24/02/14 18:39, Mike Bibbings wrote:
>> On 24/02/14 18:03, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>> Greetings Mythizens, recordings have been hit and miss lately, and I
>>> finally realized that it is not my antenna, it is the random tuner
>>> numbering done at boot-up. I do have UDEV rules in place for all the
>>> cards, but the only one that stays with the symlink name is the analog
>>> card, the dvb cards won't open in "input connections" after inserting
>>> the symlink name, or they pop back to "adapter(0or1)/frontend0" if I
>>> re-select them in "Capture Cards". After going back through some old
>>> threads, thanks Bill and Yianni, I created a
>>> "/etc/modprobe.d/dvb-options.conf file". On a re-boot there was a
>>> complaint about one of the "options" so I commented it out. There are
>>> only two dvb cards, since the options.conf file directs one card to
>>> "adapter0" the second should get "adapter1" each time, right? Testing
>>> is currently in its infancy, but if I can avoid any bumps in the road
>>> I would appreciate further direction. Thanks   Daryl
>> Daryl,
>>
>> You are correct about the number, 0/1.
>> However, just to be sure that you are not getting some system default,
>> which may change between boots, try using adapter_nr=3 and verify this
>> on reboot using dmesg.
>> The usual range for adapter_nr is 0-7, but depends on how the kernel was
>> built. For Ubuntu stock kernels it is 0-7.
>>
> I'd agree with that.  I wrote up some details a while ago: http://fbcs.co.uk/?p=1123

> cheers

> Chris

A thought about the udev simlink not being accepted by mythtv. I
myself only have analog so I cannot test.
If I understood right, by default for every dvb adapter a directory
adapter[1-7] is created in dev, which contains several device nodes.
Among them frontend0. The name frontend to me suggests it's a kind of
portal to the other device nodes. If you only create a udev simlink
for the frontend node, it might not be able to find the other device
nodes.
So my suggestion is to create udev simlinks for all device nodes and
group them by card in a directory. Give the directory a unique name
for every card and give the device nodes the same name as before.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop