[mythtv-users] Getting all the buttons on my remote control to work - part 1

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Feb 25 21:35:22 UTC 2014

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with gnome-session-fallback. Using Synaptic I
installed mythtv packages from ppa:mythbuntu/0.27.
MythTV works correctly.

I have a Rosewill IR remote control, model RHRC-11001. It is a Windows
Media compatible remote.

Before turning on remote control support in Mythbuntu Control Center I
tried the remote and found that a few buttons work. I can change the
volume, turn mute on and off, and I can toggle between play and pause
with the play button. The rest of the buttons do nothing -- except the
quarter moon button in the upper right corner, which puts the system in
some version of sleep.

I turned on remote control support and chose "Windows Media
Transcievers/Remotes (all)" from the list. I checked both "Generate
dynamic button mappings" and "Generate frontend restart mapping (Power
followed by clear)". After clicking on Apply, those two check boxes
reverted to unchecked.

Now I can press the volume up and down buttons and can see a popup
window showing the volume being increased or decreased, but the actual
volume doesn't change. I can press the mute button and see "Mute On" or
"Mute Off", but the sound does not mute.

While I haven't experimented with every keyboard command, most of the
ones I have used work as expected. The exceptions are the buttons
related to sound. As with the remote control sound buttons, the keyboard
volume up/down and mute buttons claim to be doing something via the
popup windows, but have no actual effect on the sound.

Where do I look to start solving this problem?

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens