[mythtv-users] 0.27 Upgrade - What am I doing wrong?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Jan 2 04:44:00 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 10:06:16 +1030, you wrote:

>>> 0.27 isn't available for 12.10. You'll either need to build it from
>>> source or install either the LTS version or a later version.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Thomas Mashos
>>
>> Thanks for the replies.  Concluded I needed to move from 12.10, and have had a nightmare ever since. Upgrades of Ubuntu and Myth broke quite a lot beyond the scope of my knowledge. Is there any kind of dummies guide to upgrading? Google didn't really help.
>>
>> Long story short I now have a new install of Ubuntu 13.10 and Myth 0.27.
>>
>> But it's a new install.... Is there anyway I can restore the database that I backed up before my 12.10 / 0.25 got trashed?
>>
>> Would I get anything useful from a restore? I would quite like to get the recording history back if possible.....
>I would assume you should get everything back up to the point the backup was taken provided the backup was successful.
>
>Check the wiki for full details on process, I don't have good access at the moment, but from memory it is something like (assuming your current install / MySQL / mythtv user / live tv / etc are working just with blank database):
>- make sure everything is stopped, ie all mythfrontends, mythbackends, and mythwebs.
>- restore the database using mythconverg restore script.
>- make sure you adjust host name in the database if host name has changed.
>- Check your config.xml file for correct details like user and password.
>- Double check the wiki detail about time zone tables as (IIRC?) this will need to be done.
>- then run mythtv-setup. Should always make sure mythtv-setup is first program run after upgrade.
>- follow any prompts or pop ups that might occur while mythtv-setup upgrades the database. Check any warnings.
>- Probably best to remove all capture cards and video sources and maybe storage groups if storage groups have changed.
>- run through the mythtv-setup config steps.
>- once done with mythtv-setup start mythbackend. If it runs happy start a FE and see what you get.
>
>But please double check the wiki as this is all just from memory and the wiki might have pointers for things that I have forgotten or don't even know about.
>
>Do you have backups of your startup scripts? BE may not auto start on power up if scripts are not correctly placed although that is probably a problem for another day.

And if you restore your old backup database, any programs you have
recorded in the new database will be lost.  If that is a problem, then
you can use mythexport and mythimport to fix that, but the procedure
is a bit involved.  This is what you would need to do:

1) Backup the current new database and shutdown mythbackend.
2) Restore the old 0.25 database.  Follow the Wiki page and as above.
3) Run mythtv-setup and allow it to update the 0.25 database to the
current 0.27 format.
3) Run mythbackend and then mythfrontend and let mythfrontend update
the database tables for any other plugins you are using (mythmusic
needs this - there may be others).
4) Install mythexport and run it.  Use its "On the go" web page to
export all your programs to a directory somewhere.  It will start by
writing a .sql file with all the data about the recordings it is
exporting.  Keep looking at the directory mythexport is writing to
until you see it start to export the first of the actual program files
(*.mpg).  Then kill mythexport and delete any files it has exported to
that directory except the .sql file.
5) Shut down mythbackend.
6) Restore your backup of the new database and start mythbackend.
7) Install mythimport and run it pointing to the directory containing
the .sql file.
8) Make sure all the old program files are all in storage groups that
are in the new system.

This procedure is also useful when your old database is giving you
problems and all you want to do is retain your old recordings.