[mythtv-users] REMINDER: Back Up Your Database.

Jeff Breitner jtbreitner.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 16:09:07 UTC 2014

>>> No, please don't do this. mythconverg_backup.pl uses specific
>>>
>> command-line arguments to mysqldump to prevent a corrupted backup (or
>> restore). That's why the script was created--for a reliable, supported
>> method of backup and restore.
>>

> Exactly.  The given mysqldump command line /will/ create a backup with a
> corrupt schema, so if you ever restored that backup, you will have a
> corrupt schema (which could break functionality of the running system
> and/or prevent proper upgrades of the database in the future).
>
> Mike

Karl, Mike...

I have used that method to bounce between very diverse releases on my dev
systems without any incident.  Countless times.  And if there ever was an
opportunity to have schema problems, that would be it.

Care to elaborate on the schema differences?

There is an caveat in my ad-hoc bash script however, probably should
consider --lock-tables if dumping a live system.