[mythtv-users] mysql (or mariadb) version for 0.27 under Gentoo

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Jan 3 03:26:28 UTC 2014

I've been running 0.20 for like six years, and am finally upgrading my
equipment and updating mythtv (I'm also switching from 3 PCI dvb tuners
to 2 HDHR boxes, so can run both the old and new in parallel for a while
:), which will definitely decrease the upgrade anxiety).

I'm planning on installing 0.27 under gentoo, and am trying to decide
what to do about mysql. The current stable version of mysql in gentoo
is 5.1.70, which seems pretty decrepit 8-/. The newest version in
portage is 5.5.32. It looks like the latest stable upstream is actually
5.6.15. I'd actually rather go with mariadb than mysql, based on mailing
list archives it seems the developers' stance is they're willing to
support mariadb unless it diverges too much from mysql (hopefully one
day they'll actually switch to officially supporting mariadb and make
mysql the "as-possible" variant ;), boo oracle). There is no stable
version of mariadb in gentoo :(, with the latest unstable version being
5.5.32, and the most recent stable upstream 5.5.34.

It looks like most current distributions are using either mysql or
mariadb 5.5, so I'm thinking of making a local ebuild and using mariadb
5.5.34, but I wanted to make a quick check as far as whether or not
there's a specific version of mysql/mariadb that would be best, or
alternatively if there are any specific versions to be sure to avoid.

Thanks much...