[mythtv-users] mysql (or mariadb) version for 0.27 under Gentoo

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Fri Jan 3 05:53:37 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson at acm.org> wrote:

> I'm planning on installing 0.27 under gentoo, and am trying to decide
> what to do about mysql. The current stable version of mysql in gentoo
> is 5.1.70, which seems pretty decrepit 8-/. The newest version in
> portage is 5.5.32. It looks like the latest stable upstream is actually
> 5.6.15. I'd actually rather go with mariadb than mysql, based on mailing
> list archives it seems the developers' stance is they're willing to
> support mariadb unless it diverges too much from mysql (hopefully one
> day they'll actually switch to officially supporting mariadb and make
> mysql the "as-possible" variant ;), boo oracle). There is no stable
> version of mariadb in gentoo :(, with the latest unstable version being
> 5.5.32, and the most recent stable upstream 5.5.34.

While mysql may have languished in Gentoo a bit, what functions or features
from 5.5 were you hoping to get? IMO, your database engine is not something
you should have to give much thought to. Why not just go with the stable
mysql for now and then if mariadb becomes stable at some point in the
future, Gentoo will almost certainly provide an easy upgrade path.

Karl