[mythtv-users] mysql (or mariadb) version for 0.27 under Gentoo

Dan Littlejohn dan.littlejohn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 20:44:52 UTC 2014

My 2 cents is you will have a more reliable box if you stay with what ever
is currently mysql stable in Gentoo.  I am pretty sure I am running mysql
5.5 and I don't remember myth using any crazy database features so I don't
see a lot of value in rolling your own ebuilds, but you do risk making
upgrade emerges a nightmare.

I use zoneminder 1.25 using an overlay, because there is no longer and
offical Gentoo ebuild.  Although it appears that development has started
again on zoneminder the official ebuild has not been added back.  So it
appears there is some weirdness with newer versions of the ffmpeg lib and
the last time I tried to upgrade I decided it was not worth it and gave up
(I cannot even re-emerge it).  I may try again with a different overlay to
zoneminder 1.26.5.  If Gentoo ever supports an official ebuild again I
would dump all those overlays in a minute.  I view the trade off from
messing with the different databases as being likely to have the same types
of headaches.