[mythtv-users] How to transcode HD recording

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Jan 3 21:07:43 UTC 2014

On 03/01/14 20:26, Karl Dietz wrote:
> On 03.01.2014 21:10, PlainFaceBoy wrote:
>>> On 03/01/14 13:10, plainface boy wrote:
>>> Other recent threads have been trying to downsize. You are trying to
>>> use lossless cutting, which AIUI works only with mpeg2 recordings. I
>>> may have overlooked clues about what your HD format is, but you may need
>>> another tool.
>>>
>> yes - I'm trying to use lossless cutting.
>> Recording format seems to be;
>> H264-MPEG-4 AVC, 1920x1080, 25fps, Planar 4:2:0 YUV
>> so mpeg4.
>> Is there a way of doing this within mythtv?
>
> mythtranscode only supports lossless cut with MPEG-2 video. But you can
> try http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Lossless_Cut
>
> Regards,
> Karl

Yes:  but AIUI it produces an mkv file that it cannot re-edit, as did
this old tool by a former dev:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Iamlindoro

There may be others lurking in the wiki or the outside world.

I put a script here that still isn't configured as a myth user job but
works with myth recordings.  It's quick and dirty, and is good for
'topping and tailing' but internal cuts may have short audio
discontinuities.  It cuts at keyframes, and sometimes, in my HD
recordings, these may be several seconds apart.   I find that stepping
forward or back in the editor tends to get almost stuck then, too, but
that may be because of inadequate hardware.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythDVBcut

John