[mythtv-users] Moving music library

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Fri Jan 3 22:14:46 UTC 2014

On 31/12/13 18:03, Jack McGee wrote:
> I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 and myth 0.27, one backend, and one frontend.
>
> I want to retire a freenas machine that is holding my music collection.
>
> I have mounted a 4 tb drive in the backend where I have copied the
> music collection. I will reorganize, re-tag as necessary on the copied
> files.
>
> Is it then as simple as pointing mythmusic at an empty directory,
> doing scan for new music, (to empty it), then point it to new location
> and scan for new music again?
>
> I assume I lose playlists and stats in the process.

You should be able to just copy your music to the new location,
preserving the timestamps if possible, and change the 'Directory to hold
music' setting to point to the new location. That way you wont loose
anything.

If that isn't possible then pointing MythMuisc to an empty directory and
then doing a scan of the new location will work. It's a good idea to
restart the frontend after each scan since a few people have reported
problems doing multiple scans one after the other but it's difficult for
me to reproduce it so YMMV.

If you have to do a rescan you will have to recreate your playlists.
Your ratings and play count may be OK since MythMusic will write those
to the tag if you have allowed it to so they will be read from the tag
when you rescan.

Paul H.