[mythtv-users] Database internals

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 15:28:14 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
> The manual page says "For InnoDB tables

I presume that you know that the MythTV tables default
to (and are technically only supported as) with the
MyISAM engine.... (*)

One of the issues with MythTV's usage of
MySQL is that it does not use transactions
to insure referential integrity (and the business
logic is in the code, not enforced in the DB).
This can result in backups that appear to be
valid, but are technically "corrupt" from the
MythTV perspective (partial updates being
backed up).

Gary

(*) Some individuals have reportedly changed to
InnoDB tables, and have had success(**), but there
are a couple of cases where there is the possibility
of problems (I do not recall them at the moment, but
I remember identifying them at one point).  Some day,
perhaps when a DB engine gets integrated into the
MythTV base, those issues might be moot..

(**) Full disclosure, I am one of them(***), so my
MythTV installation is now unsupported by the
project, following the rule "You break it, you own
it", I, technically, have broken it.

(***) Since I have done DBA duties in past
roles, I have my own opinion regarding DB
configurations.