[mythtv-users] zotac-ION-A and optical spdif with 5.1

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 19:11:16 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am having issues with getting 5.1 optical output to work on the above
board.
I can get stereo output but as soon as I enable 5.1 in settings the output
becomes crackly (cutting in and out and popping).

On Myth 0.27-fixes but the version is a few months old. It was a completely
fresh installation for my significant other.

The AV receiver is dolby digital capable and successfully decodes AC3 and
DTS from other sources. myth reports that the audio device is 5.1 capable.

Any ideas? have I hit upon a limit of this device or an incompatibility
between audio device and receiver?

thanks

$ aplay -L
default
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
sysdefault:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Digital
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Digital
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Digital
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Digital
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions