[mythtv-users] mysql (or mariadb) version for 0.27 under Gentoo

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sun Jan 5 20:58:03 UTC 2014

On 1/3/2014 9:36 AM, Karl Newman wrote:
> If you're willing to use a local overlay, why not just keyword the
> latest mariadb package and use that instead? Then you can stick with a
> package that's already in portage (even if it's marked as
> unstable/testing).
[...]
> highly unlikely that you would encounter any bugs that it fixes. I know
> it *feels* better to have a higher number in the version field, but
> really in the general case it's just a placebo.

I've occasionally over years had an issue or problem that took me a
while to track down, and it turned out it was resolved in the latest
"stable" upstream version, but the latest "stable" gentoo version was
out of date and buggy.

 From my perspective, there are two different concerns being addressed
by testing in the unstable branch in Gentoo. One is that the package has
significantly changed, possibly requiring an ebuild modification or some
other update to its integration into Gentoo. The other is whether or not
the package release itself is stable and ready for production use.

For the latter, I really consider upstream a more valid indicator,
particularly given that sometimes package stabilization lags
considerably in Gentoo due to manpower constraints and limited developers.

For many packages, a minor rev bump is as simple as renaming the ebuild,
for example copying mariadb-5.5.32.ebuild to mariadb-5.5.34.ebuild in
your local overlay. Generally with minor revision updates like that
there are no infrastructure changes that would impact the ebuild, it's
just newer code. For some packages (such as openldap as a server),
barring specific Gentoo integration issues, I like to run what upstream
considers stable, because there really any better position to know.

In this case, however, proving the exception to the rule ;),
mariadb-5.5.32 compiles perfectly, whereas mariadb-5.5.34 barfs and dies
with a goofy error:

cc1plus: error: LTO support has not been enabled in this configuration

It doesn't look like is anything supercritical in .33 or .34, so in this
case I guess I probably will just keyword the latest mariadb in portage
for now and let somebody else work out the problem with .34 :).

Thanks for the input…