[mythtv-users] Restore backup?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 6 16:06:31 UTC 2014

On 01/06/2014 12:21 AM, Stephen P. Villano wrote:
> I'm further curious, does MythTV backup verify its backup?
> Things can go weird during a backup, resulting in a corrupted backup.
> Hence, my question.

MythTV never does backups of the database, except it will attempt a
backup before a database upgrade (which only happens when you install a
new version of MythTV).  If the automatic, pre-upgrade backup fails, it
will tell you--which means if you're doing a proper upgrade and have
started mythtv-setup to let it do the upgrade, you will be notified with
a dialog on screen; but if you start mythbackend on the master backend
host and let it do the upgrade, you will be notified in a log message
(meaning it's useless to you because you won't have time to back up the
database yourself before it starts changing things).

So, normally, the mythconverg_backup.pl script is only run when the user
runs it, and it reports the results as an exit code , which the user
must verify.  So, if using a script to do the backup, have it check for
a zero exit code (meaning no errors), or if running interactively, make
sure you don't see any error messages in the console.

Mike